Monday, December 13, 2010

Music for Teddy's ears

Yesterday, it became clear that Teddy circa 2 weeks old does not find NFL football to be particularly interesting. Perhaps not coincidentally, one of my two fantasy football playoff teams (the other team had a bye week) went down in total flames (Brandon Lloyd and Dwayne Bowe, after all the love I've shown you and your home cities of Denver and Kansas City, I did not think you'd be so cruel).

In an effort to keep him engaged, and then later to keep him from screaming his lungs out (something that at his tender age, we're actually a wee bit worried might actually happen), we started experimenting with a little bit of music.

He did not seem to respond one way or other to classical music (as everyone knows, it's supposed to make him smarter; I suspect he may be too young to respond to stimuli that impact higher order brain functions; this would also explain quite well his disinterest in Sunday football).

He did seem to like dancing to the Pixies' "Wave of Mutilation", but other Pixies songs caused him to cry.

The Magnetic Fields' "Book of Love" and Sufjan Stevens's version of "Amazing Grace" were pretty remarkably effective in calming him down and getting him to sleep, especially when Daddy sang along. Might have to save those for the back pocket, when he's having a total nuclear-level breakdown.

Any other suggestions for music?

4 comments:

  1. Dave, you are a great dad! I can just see you singing along to the little guy! In terms of suggestions: James Taylor makes me sleepy. Maybe a little Simon & Garfunkel. When Janie and I were little we listened to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" quite a bit. A family favorite!

    Auntie Anneliese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our kids really liked the Rockabye Baby! Lullaby series, esp. the Radiohead, Cure, and Pixies versions. See, e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Rockabye-Baby-Lullaby-Renditions-Radiohead/dp/B000GY72KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292285267&sr=8-1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy and I have very similar tastes in music. The Book of Love series by Magnetic Fields is still one of my all time favs. And I was a huge Pixies fan back in high school!

    My kids really dig anything by Dan Zanes. So do I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try parking him next to the "Natal heartbeat bear" and see if that helps. Otherwise, the Muppets seems to work well...
    Aunt Suzy

    ReplyDelete