Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Banana Bread = Happy Associations

Dave’s brother and his wife babysat Teddy on Saturday so that we could dash out for a dinner date. (Thank you!) As we drove, I realized that the last time Dave and I were in a car – just us – was on the way to the hospital. As we do several times a week, we got to excitedly talking about our memories of Teddy’s birth. Still awestruck, we mostly talk about how we felt when we saw him for the first time – our glorious little bundle with his big, kissable cheeks. But, today, I was thinking about banana bread and Teddy.

We first went to the hospital at 4 a.m. on November 28, but were told that it would be many more hours and we could return home. Through mild contractions, I slept a little, did some work, baked banana bread, and went out for an early dinner of Neapolitan pizza with Dave and my mom, sister, and mom’s cousin’s daughters plus spouse. My contractions were very intense by 8 p.m., and I decided that I should really try some of the banana bread before going to the hospital. A very good decision! We left for the hospital around 10 p.m. and Teddy was born the following night at 9:58 p.m. I highly recommend this recipe for “jacked-up banana bread” from my favorite cooking website. (I added rum and dates.)
http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/speckled-for-the-freckled/
To try to help Teddy’s tummy, I’ve been avoiding dairy for the past few weeks. Today, I made this vegan banana bread.
http://thebakingbird.blogspot.com/2009/02/best-vegan-banana-bread.html
Both recipes are delicious and mix together with only one bowl.

So, you say you come to this site to see photos of Teddy, rather than to read about recipes? I believe I have two gems for you.

I took this as Dave drove us home from the hospital on December 2. Such sweetness!

This photo shows Teddy’s consistent response to my question this afternoon, “Can you smile for Mama?” We’re having a great week!




3 comments:

  1. love the cooking insights-as well as the adorable pictures-
    you have always been such a wonderful cook-so keep the recipe ideas coming...love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen these photos! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister, your recipes have inspired me (a non-cook) to try my hand at banana bread! You know I only try already tested and loved recipes from you! So please, do not stop them now! And I love the picture of Teddy giggling! In the midst of 10 inches of snow, this made me smile :-)

    Auntie Anneliese

    ReplyDelete