Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Four Months Old

The e.e. cummings poem, i carry your heart with me, is a Stoever family favorite, so much so that when I gave my parents a Valentine’s Day card featuring the first two phrases, they first asked if I made it and then asked if I had it commissioned. I had to credit Paper Source for the card, but my sister, Teddy’s Auntie Anneliese, did have this outfit made for Teddy before his birth.
i carry your heart

i carry it in my heart

My little boy is inextricably part of my heart and soul. I so love his sweet smile, how when we make eye contact, he holds the gaze so long, how he often ends his smile to others by shyly turning, the way he moves his lips in a sucking motion as he sleeps, his laughter, his sounds, his trust in us. It is amazing to watch his daily discoveries. The days and months are flying by and I want to slow down time. I remind myself to savor him as a cuddly baby.
The e.e. cummings poem:
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling) i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true) and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

6 comments:

  1. jane-
    you are so beautiful-and your little boy is the reflection of your happiness-thank you so much for sharing your joy of teddy. it is wonderful to read everyday! love e.e cummings-:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THAT POEM. So awesome, and perfectly describes what it is to be a parent. Thank you for sharing it. I really want to hang it in our house now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, love that poem, love your words, love you, love Teddy! Love that we had our little boys less than two weeks apart, and love that we get to take this journey in step with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful sentiment, expressed so perfectly. Teddy is so blessed to have you and Dave as parents. All my best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister, although we are not in the same area, this poem holds true. I think of you often and hold you in my heart.

    love,

    anneliese

    ReplyDelete
  6. I taught "i carry your heart" to my students in Louisville, before my journey to KC to find Henry, before we chose part of the poem for our wedding invitation, before we spent now 35 years of marriage loving each other, carrying each other and our girls in our hearts, never without each other. Such a joy to the tradition carried on through Teddy!

    ReplyDelete